Uterine Fibroids and Painful Intercourse
Painful intercourse (dyspareunia) is one of many symptoms of uterine fibroids. You may experience pain during intercourse when the fibroids grow near the cervix (also known as cervical fibroids) and vaginal tract.
Cervical fibroids interfere with sexual activity by make penetration very uncomfortable or painful. There are a few ways in which cervical fibroids interfere with sexual activity:
- Fibroid(s) press on the cervix
- Fibroid(s) hang through the cervical opening
- Tissue surrounding the fibroid gets irritated causing mild bleeding
- Fibroid tissue gets irritated causing mild bleeding
- Fibroids grow in a way that causes the uterus to move or distort
Most of the time, uterine fibroids present with no symptoms at all. However, if you experience painful intercourse along with other symptoms of uterine fibroids, you should get to your doctor for a check-up.